More Pages!

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Preaching and Teaching

I've been preaching lately.  Yeah, I know.  It's something I find myself doing a lot because I am obsessed with Essential Oils.  Oh, I don't think that's a bad thing.  No!  I have adopted Gary Young's philosophy and mission that every home NEEDS these oils, and that I'm just one in an army of many trying to spread the word.  So yeah, I preach.

But today I'm going to talk about preventative care.  That's really where it is at.  We shouldn't binge on food or alcohol one night, then get up and run a marathon the next day to make up for it.  What kind of sense is that?  Yet, for many, that's how we live.  We indulge in ... whatever ... and then try to deal with it.  

Unfortunately, much of our lives today is filled with silent killers.  We don't see it coming.  We don't even know it's happening until it's too late.  And it's probably not our fault because, after all, that's how we were taught to live.  We tend to live in a way very similar to that which our parents live.  We buy the same products and eat the same foods.  We even use the same laundry detergent, right?  Okay, so you may have made some changes, but we live and grow the way we are taught.

Well, I'm here to tell you that mama ain't always right.  (Sorry, Mom!)  We've come to live in a world of convenience and instant gratification.  Anything that makes the daily grind a little easier is gratefully adopted.  Think back to the 50s and all those TV dinners ...  I bet they thought those were the bee's knees!  Yet, today we know that they are highly processed and filled with chemicals that are not good.  Nutritional they ain't.  So, over time, this fad passed.  But now we have replacements that seem better, but in reality aren't much better. Ramen Noodles?  Frozen pizza?  Canned pasta?  Even mac & cheese from a box made with powdered cheese - really, how good could that be for us?  In Europe, there are many products that are banned because of toxic ingredients.  Take a look at this site - it was a shocking to me to find some of our best loved foods on this list!


But I'm not just talking about processed foods.  There are silent killers everywhere in our homes and unless you take a proactive stance, you're going to let them affect your health without even knowing.  

Here are some chemicals that have been banned in Europe, but can still be found in US products.  The list of what these chemicals can do to you is somewhat shocking, and the fact that they are banned in other countries makes it worse.  We cannot trust that a product on the market is safe -- you need to take matters into your own hands!

TALC - linked to ovarian cancer, gynecological tumors, and mesothelioma
Found in baby powder, face powder, deodorant

COAL TAR - linked to lung, kidney, bladder, and digestive tract cancers
Found in hair dyes, rosacea treatments, dandruff treatments, and some shampoos

TRICLOSAN - linked to hormone disruption, immune system damage, the development of antibiotic-resistant germs, and potentially skin cancer
*Banned in antiseptic products (like hand sanitizer), but still found in some toothpaste (especially Colgate Total)  Hello?

BUTYLATED HYDROXYANISOLE (BHA) - linked as an endocrine disruptor & carcinogen
Found in personal care products was a preservative, and in some food!
Hair products, lip balm, makeup, sunscreen, fragrance, antiperspirant, deodorant

ETHANOLAMINES - linked to liver tumors and organ system toxicity
Found in soaps, hair conditioner, hair dyes, shampoo, shaving cream, mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, blush, foundation, fragrance, cleaning products, waxes, lotions, and sunscreen.

PHENACETIN - linked to malignant mammory tumors, renal pelvis tumors, and anemia
Found as a stabilizer in hair bleach and hair removal treatments

METHYLISTHIAZOLINONE (MIT) linked to inhalation toxicity, and neurotoxic effects
Found in shampoo (including baby shampoo), hair color, conditioner, shaving cream, makeup remover, lotions, sunscreen, mascara, hair spray

Had enough yet?  It's scary what is out there on the shelf.  And that list is only the chemicals that are banned in Europe.  There are many more toxins that are dangerous for us, but not enough for the government to do anything about ... yet.  I spent years buying Suave shampoo and no-name products to try to save some money, but who knew what harm I could have been doing to my family?  Since I began my journey two and a half years ago, I have made it my mission to eliminate as many of these toxic chemicals as I can.  I want to know the ingredients in the products I use on my body, to clean with, or even in the foods we eat.  If not, who knows what damage these silent killers are doing?



So, yes, I preach!  I urge all of you to take the first small steps to start replacing or eliminating the toxins in your life.  Yup.  Start small.  It's way too overwhelming to do it all at once.  Train yourself to start looking at ingredients.  I've listed a few websites below where you might start.  Much of our good health begins with proper maintenance.  You wouldn't abuse your car - neglecting to check the oil or have the tires rotated until there was an issue, right?  (Or if you do, you realize how quickly the mechanic's bill can add up!)  I don't want to find a laundry list of maladies when I visit my doctor, and I don't want that for you.  Start with prevention!  Be proactive in knowing exactly what you're putting in and on your body - and those of your loved ones.  

A quick story, and then I'm done ...  It's never too late to start getting control of your life and your health.  My 80-something year old aunt smoked from the time she was 16 until she was about 75.  At the urging of family and friends, we tried to get her to quit, and she did try, but it never too hold.  Then she got scared straight when they found lung cancer.  Long story short - she quit smoking and took responsibility for her health, and she's looking better than ever and in better health than she's been for quite some time.  So, get moving and start making the hard choices that will bring you into your full wellness potential!





RESOURCES FOR YOU:
Environmental Working Group - info about products and what is currently being done in the US

Chemicals in your home - This one is crazy to me!  We're surrounded!
THINK DIRTY APP - get this and then scan your products at home to see how they rate!

EWG also has several apps for Healthy Living and Food Scores ...  (I have not yet used these, but I'm thinking of trying them!)

RESOURCES USED:
https://www.thepaleomom.com/chemicals-banned-in-europe-that-are-allowed-in-the-usa/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!