More Pages!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Nutrition and Alzheimer's Disease

From the preview, this documentary seems to be saying that our lifestyle is to blame for the astounding increase in Alzheimer diagnoses.  What we eat, our level of activity and exercise, and our levels of stress all contribute to this disease.  That may sound like bad news, but it's really good news because they are all things we can control and changed.

If you click on this link, you can sign up to view a documentary series about Alzheimer's Disease and the steps we can take to reverse this disease - or prevent it altogether.  After you submit your email, you can also view the trailer.  Powerful stuff!

I suppose developing dementia or Alzheimer's is one of my biggest fears.  I am already frustrated by "brain fog" - not being able to remember someone's name, losing my train of thought, wandering around my house wondering what I was doing ...  or not being able to find the correct vocabulary as I'm talking.  (After the "fog" lifts, these things come back easily.)  It is the occurrence of these events  that makes me fear the BIG ONE.


So, what do we do?  Well, this is one reason I'm on this mission to change my lifestyle - what I eat, what I drink, how much activity I get, etc.  It's also a big reason to find ways to destress ... 

Oh, yeah - stress!  I've been carrying around my essential oil roller bottle with Stress Away and Lime and it seems to be helping.  I'm not totally stress free, but when I feel that hot flash coming on, I pull out the bottle and "destress."  Seems to help the ones I get during the day, but not at night.  I guess my best advice for anyone beginning this journey is to do it naturally.  Don't go on hormones or birth control to control the symptoms.  I was under the impression that I was escaping, but really, I think I just postponed them.

Again, the stress issue is a big one, and I'm loving using my oils to help me relax.  I carry 4-5 different roller bottles in my purse for various symptoms ...  Headache, muscle pain, stress, impending sickness, and brain fog.  And when I'm home, I diffuse different combinations to carry me off to a more blissful state.  Okay, maybe not blissful, but more relaxed and less stressed.

What do you do to relax and reduce stress?  I'm thinking I might start dancing again - just at home - to enjoy music and increase activity.  Gotta keep moving or the moss will smother me!

(added later ...) - Oh dear!  I am listening to some replays of the Food Revolution Summit and just heard a terrible prediction ...  They said that at our current pace, "children today are the first generation in US history to have a lower life expectancy than their parents."  Wow.  Something's gotta change!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!