More Pages!

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Hello? Anyone there?

It was kind of ironic ...  I decided I needed to blog again, but the only blog I remember writing was something somewhat political.  I didn't want to do that.  But I am on this journey to get healthy and eat right, so I figured that might be the best way to process my own thoughts and share my journey with others.


So, the ironic part was that I already had a blog like that -- I had totally forgotten about it.  Well, no wonder!  I started it 2 ½ years ago and only wrote 4 posts.  I am hoping that I can hang on this time and create a therapeutic space for me -- and a place to share what I learn.

I have been listening to many vlogs, interviews, and podcasts about nutrition, health, and essential oils.  There is so much information out there -- I am overwhelmed.  One thing that resonates with me over and over again is the call for more healthy eating and eliminating the SAD diet (Standard American Diet.)  Our processed "nonfoods," our pesticide ridden natural foods, and a general lack of authentic, up-to-date nutrition education is killing us.  


I haven't yet processed everything I've been listening to for the past three weeks, but I am trying to make more and more changes in my diet and everyday living.  It's HARD!  With our busy lives and the day to day stress and lack of time, making these changes can be hard.  And while I have been listening intently to the "experts" in nutrition and well-being, grateful for medical doctors who believe that food either keeps us healthy or promotes disease, I can't help wondering how many of them are doing this to promote their own financial well-being.  


Some doctors and websites seem very legit.  Others seem to be selling you "the cure" or "the secret" to good health.  It's not that what they are saying isn't true, but you start to wonder how much of what they say is necessary, and how much is to sell a book, supplement, program, etc.
Here are just some of the sites I have been visiting lately.  Again, there is a ton of information out there -- I think we just have to read or listen to everything, and then put together a plan that helps us individually.  There is never a "one size fits all" plan, but I believe the overall thesis is good health.


Food Matters



Dr. Axe (likes to sell stuff!)

Dr. Susan Peirce Thompson



Now, a confession.  I just made chocolate chip cookies.  I have a sweet tooth and I need to get over that, but I'm doing that as healthfully as I can.  These are made according to the Nestles package, but I used my gluten-free flour mix, Earth Balance soy free margarine, and Splenda (both the white and brown versions).  They didn't spread like the traditional tollhouse cookies, but they were still yummy.  I put nuts in only half of them so that my son could enjoy them, too.

Check out the recipe page for my gluten-free flour mix!  I'm going to make a nice cup of green tea to go with my cookie!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!