More Pages!

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

What's Up Doc?

I find myself in conflict a lot these days.  Since I've made a commitment to toxin-free living, whenever someone mentions the words, "doctor" or "medicine," I feel the urge to scream, "NO!"  But the conflict comes because I don't really have anything against doctors OR medications.  Well, not a lot ...



My conflict comes because I feel we are an over-medicated society of Ozonians who believe everything the Wizard - or, uh, the good doctor, says.  Now, I know some doctors, and yes, they are quite intelligent and very knowledgeable.  But they are not wizards, and they are not God.  We tend to hang on their every word because, let's face it, they know a lot more about disease and medication than most of us.  



But, they don't know as much about natural healing or nutrition, or anything else that isn't in their medical books.  They're training in nutrition is often limited to one obligatory course.  In that way, I find that many doctors have a fixed mindset.  They know what they know because that's what they've been taught - but they don't always strive to find alternate answers.  I find that to be on the brink of malpractice.  





Imagine a doctor who, (maybe to save face), has the answers for just about any malady you may suffer from.  They are very sensitive and empathetic when they discuss your condition and your options, but unfortunately, they answer just the same for any patient with that condition.  It's what they know, so because they are "The Doctor," they have to come up with the answer.  After all, you're paying them big bucks to be the expert.  So, how often do you think that answer is based on YOU and your lifestyle and your individual pain point?  I don't have the answer, but it would seem that many would not look much further than their old med school books -- and who knows how out of date they might be?

Now, I know there are many good doctors - excellent doctors who really get to know their patients and keep up with all of the latest research.  If you have someone like that - bravo!  But I believe a really good doctor will look beyond themselves to examine not only the treatment, but also the cause.  Why treat someone if you haven't addressed the "why?" Most likely, that person will end up back in the same condition.



Onto pharmaceuticals ...  There are SO many unnecessary meds out there -- along with the essential drugs that keep people alive.  We, as a society, have grown to rely too fully on the medical experts and pharmaceutical companies to cure, fix, treat, or lessen the pain for anything and everything that ails us.  But in using many of these medications, we are subjecting ourselves to synthetic chemicals and compounds that our bodies are not meant to process.  It's no wonder that we need drugs to treat the side effects of other drugs.  Is that crazy, or what?

And what about the doctors who push certain drugs because the pharmaceutical companies reward them for prescribing their new wonder drug?  Is that even ethical?




I think the change has to come from us.  No, I'm not saying that we stop going to the doctor, or stop using medications. I'm saying we need to be proactive and ask questions.  Is this medication really necessary?  Or will some lifestyle changes or the removal of bad habits help to improve the situation naturally?  We've gotten lazy and complacent.  
We also need to check out natural remedies -- things that won't wreak havoc on our bodies.  Yes, sometimes that's the only choice, but sometimes it's just the easy choice and alternative methods would be so much better, albeit harder.




Yes, I'll say it again.  Change it hard.  But if we want doctors to become better healers, we need to hold them accountable for more than just the prescription pad.  




Update:  Within minutes of coming in the room at my check-up this past Friday, my doctor was pushing drugs.  For real?  
1.  Know your patients!
2.  Let's try natural remedies, first!  
Shaking my head -- and my finger!  Shame on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!