More Pages!

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Through A Daughter's Eyes ...

Many of you who know me, know that I've been in Florida a couple of times in the past two weeks.  I'm writing this from a hotel room in Jacksonville, a few miles from the Mayo Clinic.  This has been my mom & dad's second home every sixth months for my mother's bi-yearly check-ups, and for several surgeries in the past few years.

Mom had a single lung transplant 15 years ago, and she likes to brag about being a survivor.  I don't consider it bragging, so much as cheering.  You see, not too many people last that long with a lung transplant.  Sometimes, I think it her sheer will to survive that has gotten her this far.  That, and many prayers and the grace of God.  She is my hero.

So, her latest crisis was another bout of skin cancer.  The cancer is caused by a reaction to her anti-rejection meds.  Now, as much as I hate medications, this is a much-needed one, and probably one of the main reasons for her success.  Yet, for as much as it has kept her going, it has also torn her apart.

She began to have small patches of skin cancer on her
face about five years ago.  Moh's surgery was done in the office to remove the patches and all would be well.  Three years ago, there was so much, the technician had to go deeper and deeper, and a portion of her nose was removed.  Further surgery was needed to remove a bit more, and then she went through plastic surgery to help "regrow" a nose on one side of her face.  This was done with a forehead flap, a procedure where they take a strip of skin from her forehead, and without fully removing it from the base, twist it around and suture it to help form a nose.

Mom was never fully satisfied with this "nose," as it didn't quite take at the tip and she was very self-conscious.  Unfortunately, the reason it didn't take was because there was still cancer in the area, and a year later, she had to have intensive surgery to remove the new cancer.  This took off the same side of her nose, and more into her cheek.  Six months later, she was fitted with a prosthetic, but was never quite satisfied with the look.  It had to be put on "just right," and even then, she was self-conscious about it and resorted to wearing a bandaid most of the time.

Fast forward another year to this August, and she decided to visit her first plastic surgeon, who was with her at the Mayo three years ago, but has since moved his practice to Tennessee.   It was not an easy trip, and when the doc
examined her, he put off the surgery to have more testing done.  The worst news came back as new cancer had been discovered - deeper and more pervasive.  There was a lot of doubt whether or not they would be able to operate and get all of it out ...  I was in panic mode for the rest of the summer and couldn't think about my sweet mamma without crying.

The decision was made to go back to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville to have the surgery.  It is closer to their home, and they were familiar with the doctors there and the area.  Plus, her transplant team could keep an eye on her.  I made the decision to spend my last week of the summer with my parents so we could have quality time together and not worry about the upcoming surgery.

I returned to Jacksonville after working the first week of school so that I could be with Mom and Dad for the surgery.  My brothers were both stuck and couldn't leave work, so I represented.

I won't go into the fatigue of waiting all day on Tuesday, but get to the good news.  The doctor came out and told us that everything went extremely well.  He got all of the cancer and did biopsies along the way which came back negative.  He also began the plastic surgery for reconstruction of her nose.  She will have several phases of reconstruction, but the goal is to give her a new nose/face, and then she can stop hiding behind her bandaid.


Mom's transplant allowed her to live 15 more years so far -- enough time to see both her sons married, and her

granddaughter, as well!  She also got to see her third grandchild born, celebrated her 75th birthday with friends an family, and her 50th wedding anniversary - plus another 8 (almost) since then.  The medical miracles and amazing doctors at the Mayo Clinic have given us this joy, and so, for as much as I dislike medication and Rx pushing doctors, we have been blessed to have her in our
lives.

I can't tell you how relieved and grateful I am that she continues to be a survivor.  There is still a lot of work to be done, but I thank God that we can continue to enjoy her grace, beauty, and love for that much longer.



And I've been hearing that I'm a "good daughter" being here with my parent.  Where else would I be?  Yes, I came down to help, but I'm not supporting mom.  She is supporting me.  She's my rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!