More Pages!

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Not a Nike Ad ... but JUST DO IT!

It's Wednesday evening, and once again I'm staring at a blank screen trying to gather some coherent thoughts about what to write here this week.  I have ideas throughout the week, but they are only half-baked, so to speak.  And because they are half thoughts and not developed, they don't stick with me.  Such is age, I suppose.  My mind is not as sharp as it once was, although it is better since I starting taking Mindwise everyday.

So, what to spout about this week?  Self care.  Since I've been taking care of my mom for the past week, I hear myself telling her, "You just have to ..." and I think, "If only she changed _______."  I shake my head at myself.  It's a bit ironic, and somewhat hypocritical, right?  Here I am, overweight and feeling my own aches and pains.  Do I know how to make myself thinner, stronger, and experience less pain?  Sure I do.  Then WHY don't I do it?

Ah, if I could answer that question, I'd be a billionaire!  It's true, isn't it?  We all know exactly what we should do, but we don't always follow through.  Maybe we try, but the work is too tough and the results are too slow.  Maybe it's that we think we are not that bad, or that we have time, or we look at others and say, "At least I'm not like that."  Lots of excuses to keep us from doing what we should be doing to improve our health and wellness.  

I think for me, a lot of the time I think I'm "safe" because I use essential oils.  They have changed my life and have helped me to live healthier and experience more wellness, but I doubt they can save me from a donut - yet, I still believe I'm better because of them.  


Similarly, I think a lot of people make choices based on their lifestyles and preferences, but make excuses about other elements of their life.  For example, "I eat an extremely healthy diet, so having 4-5 glasses of wine/beer won't hurt me."  Or, "I run 10 miles a day, so I deserve this grande pumpkin latte."  Unfortunately, one does not excuse the other, but I know that's the way we sometimes think.

So, how do we get to where we want to be?  Here are my six steps that I plan to implement as soon as .... Okay.  OKAY!  Tomorrow!  But just like Chutes and Ladders, if you slide down the chute, there will always be another ladder to climb to continue working on the goal.  Only YOU are the only one playing, so if you keep with it, eventually, you will win!



Step 1:  The answer is to first acknowledge the problem.  If you go out on the weekend and drink 5, 6, 8 beers ... there is a problem.  You might not even be aware that it is a problem, but the continual damage to your liver is something you don't want to have to deal with down the line.  

I have a food problem.  I don't drink my calories (though a couple of glasses of wine a week may accompany a dinner), but I eat fast and tend to eat too much.  (Ask my mother.  She's been scolding me
this week.)  Yes, CHEW thoroughly!  I know, but it's a habit I've had since I was a kid.  And I love sugar.  I have been pretty good about not buying sweets, but if you put it in front of me, I am not going to say no!    I also don't make time for exercise.  I feel I don't have extra time, and that may or not be true, but only because it is not yet a priority for me.    Okay.  There.  Problem defined.


Step 2:  What are those hard steps you need to take to start yourself on a positive journey to solve your problem?  Think about all the ways in which you fail yourself, and break them down so that you can change a negative into a positive.

My short list:

  • Slow down and chew your food!
  • Take smaller portions.
  • Get up after you eat a reasonable amount.  (Did you ever not feel particularly "full" and then stand up from the table to feel like your belly was going to bust?  UGH!)
  • Drink a glass of water before sitting down to eat.
  • Don't buy trigger foods!  (Just say no!)
  • Check online menus before you hit a restaurant to decide on a healthy choice, so you won't be tempted once you get there to order something more decadent!
  • Minimally, get 20 minutes of exercise in a day - take a walk, stretch, yoga, go up and down the stairs, etc.  Just 20 minutes to start, and then let the time increase when you can.
Step 3:  Create a goal.  How will you know you've arrived if you haven't decided where you're going?  You need to firmly establish your main goal, along with a few minor goals that will help you achieve the big one.  Be specific, and revisit them often.


My Goals:
  • Biggie - Lose 60 pounds
    • Lose 5 pounds the first week
    • Lose at least 1 pound each week after that.


  • Baby goals:
    • Eat a green salad at least 5 times a week for a month.
    • Go for a walk 3 times a week for the first two weeks.
    • Go for a walk 5 times a week thereafter.
    • Eat dinner by 7pm
    • Eat breakfast every day!
    • Plan out meals for the week - breakfast, lunch, and dinner - so there are no excuses and "oh well, I have to eat something" type of meals!
Step 4:  Tell your family and friends what you are doing and what support you need.  You don't need a well-meaning friend to save you a donut from the staff meeting when you're trying to stave off sugar!  


Hey Dad, Don't offer me Pepperidge Farm Coconut cake any more, okay?  I can't say no!  
Honey?  Stop using cheese and tons of oil/butter when you cook.  Give me salads and veggies!  And if you bring chips into the house - hide them, please!
Friends, ask me to go for a walk!  

Step 5:  Keep positive!  You will always have set-backs, but one mistake doesn't mean you've failed.  Get back on the horse.  Don't eat like one!

I've ordered a pretty, antique-looking journal to use as a gratitude journal.  I want to write in it every day - setting a time aside to count my blessings and be happy for minor successes as well as the big stuff.  I think this will help me keep things in perspective, and to focus on what is going right.


Step 6:  Celebrate small successes!  Do something fun or meaningful to celebrate what is going right.  It can be with a friend, or you can celebrate all on your own, but do acknowledge your hard work and progress!  (Just don't do it with a donut!)

For my minor successes, I will do something fun with my hubby, or buy something new (like a scarf or socks that will fit me even when I lose weight!).  

As I start to hit bigger goals, I will allow myself to buy a new outfit in a smaller size, and donate a few things that don't fit, or give them away.

Okay, so I guess I wrote this mostly for myself, but now you're all my witnesses.  But, if you're like me and always striving to improve, just maybe this has helped you a little, too.    If you've read this far, leave me a comment and cheer me on in my journey to improve!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!