More Pages!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After ... right?  Isn't that we all strive for?  To be happy?  What brings us that happiness?  Of course, it's different for every person.  It kind of depends on where you're at ... what you need, what you strive for, and where you want to go.  But happy needs to happen now - not in the future.  Why spend your whole life waiting to be happy.  Start now!

It's like my husband said after viewing a commercial about retirement.  "Why is retirement the goal, as if it is only then that we can experience life and be happy?  Why can't we be happy now?"



I get his point.  Though, in retirement, I certainly want to have enough resources to live comfortably and do the things I want to do.  But, I should be able to have fun and live life now.  And let's face it, some people never make it to retirement, so why not live it up when you can?

Dad, June 2013
So, what's my "happy ever after?"  Oh, there is a bucket list, and a pre-bucket list, and just some unfulfilled goals cluttering up that box.  But I think first and foremost, I want to get healthy.  I want to eat healthy and have the energy to be active into my 60s, 70s, 80s, and beyond.  I'm 51 right now, and I can tell you, my dad is healthier than I am!  He's 74 and plays softball 3-4 times a week where he is one of the stars!  Since being diagnosed with diabetes, he changed his eating habits, lost weight, and continues to be as active as ever.  He's my hero in that respect!

Me?  Well, let's just say I am not as active as I should be, and though I know better, I often indulge in foods that are not the best nutritional choices.  I am overweight and out of shape.  I have had a hip replacement (due to an abnormality in my hip socket), which also led to a knee replacement.  I am busy with my teaching career, and obsessed with my computer (and various pieces of technology.)  I KNOW what I need to do, but I don't do it.  


Halloween 2013
So, this blog is meant as a tool for me to stop living in a fairy tale world where "happy" comes at the end.  I want to live happy right now.  And, I'm going to do it by tackling the hardest task first -- losing weight and living healthy!  

As the internet is my witness, "I pledge to make my health and nutrition my first priority from now on!"


Maybe you'll join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!